Many women (and some men!) would love nothing more than a full head of hair trailing all the way down their backs. However, that’s certainly easier said than done. Some people are lucky in the genetics department and seem to grow thick, lustrous hair in no time at all without any extra work. For the rest of us, though, that’s simply not going to happen. So, if you’re trying to grow out your hair with little-to-no luck, try avoiding these 15 common habits that actually harm your hair and keep it from growing.
1. Styling while wet leads to breakage.
Even simply brushing still-wet hair will snap your strands. Instead, use only fingers to comb through damp hair.
2. Poor eating habits can hamper hair growth.
Salmon, eggs, Greek yogurt, dark greens like spinach and anything high in iron are just a few of the foods that can help your hair grow.
3. Using too much product each day can stunt hair growth.
Excessive use of products can clog the pores on your scalp, which keeps hair from growing like it should. If you can’t stand the thought of going without your favorite products, though, at least do a scalp cleanse regularly.
4. Aggressive brushing isn’t good for your hair.
While it’s great to keep your hair nice and brushed, brushing too hard can break your hair strands.
5. Brushing too frequently is a no-no, too.
Brushing too often is leads to breakage; washing too often has the same consequence.
6. Always wearing your hair up can damage hair.
Hair elastics can break strands and the pulling caused by a tight updo can pull out hair from even the hairline … not to mention cause a headache!
7. Keep the bleach for cleaning.
Bleaching your hair is a chemical process that actually changes the structure of your hair and not for the better. This change makes the hair weaker, especially combined with the effects of blowdrying and styling.
8. Ignoring your split ends is a bad idea.
Split ends look untidy and make your hair feel less healthy. Shedding that vulnerable hair will help the healthy hair grow.
9. Letting your hair dry out will stall growth.
Keeping hair moisturized will also keep it healthier and growing! Pick up a hair mask at the store or find your own DIY recipe, perhaps using avocado, honey or olive oil.
10. Avoid chemical curling.
Like bleaching, getting a permanent chemically alters the structure of your hair, which is going to keep hair from staying healthy and long.
11. Daily blowdrying might have your hair looking smooth, but it won’t help it stay long.
Heat is useful in styling hair, but it also causes the hydrogen bonds that hold hair together to change. Constant application of heat can lead to permanent (and damaging) change.
12. Conditioning from root to ends can clog your pores.
Just like using too much product, conditioning all over will leave scalp pores clogged and hair growth stunted.
13. Sleeping on cotton can be rough on your hair.
Cotton might feel soft, but it can dry out your hair. Switch to a silk pillowcase to retain moisture.
14. Towel drying can tear your hair apart.
Roughly drying with a towel can cause hair breakage. Try using a super-soft T-shirt instead.
15. Wearing hair up while it’s wet does double the damage.
We’ve already covered the issues caused by wearing your hair up, as well as those caused by styling while wet. Doing both at the same time? Definitely a no-no.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”