It’s always exciting to get a fresh start in a new place, but the actual moving process. Here are 23 tips to do the whole thing yourself and save your sanity while you’re in the process of moving.
1. Stack paper plates in between your real plates to keep them from smashing.
2. Use your big pots to lug spices, salts and oils. when and if they spill a bit, you’ll just wash out the pot.
3. Buy a divided wine bottle box at the grocery for your glasses.
4. Use a checklist to manage everything you need to do. It’s more gratifying to be able to tick off what you’ve already done and see your list in small, manageable chunks.
5. There’s even an app for that.
6. Pack makeup with a cotton ball inside to keep powders, like foundations and eyeshadow from cracking.
7. Use this time to get curtains, area rugs and couch covers professionally cleaned.
8. Take a picture of how your electronics are put together. You’ll be able to just follow your photo when you’re hooking them back up.
9. Pack your closet on the hangers inside plastic bags. It will help them stay in order and will keep moving grime off them.
10. Or go the extra mile and vacuum pack your clothes and blankets.
11. Put pillows, blankets and throws inside dresser and ottoman drawers.
12. Add a little extra protection against leaks by wrapping plastic or cling wrap around bottles.
13. Lock the pumps of your soap and lotion dispensers back in place by pushing down the lever and turning the cap, the same way they were when you bought them.
14. Cut handles inside boxes to make them easier to move. Reinforce them with duct tape for extra heavy loads.
15. Make sure to load up your laundry baskets before you move them.
16. Rent a dolly. It’s a few extra bucks, but you’ll save your arms and back while you’re hauling your boxes.
17. Color code boxes with tape or markers to take boxes to the right room when you’re moving them in.
18. Use rubber bands to keep doors from locking you out when you’re going back and forth.
19. Rent padded blanket wraps to protect your appliances and furniture. They’re a small expense, but it’s worth the peace of mind to not have to worry about dings and scratches.
20. Clean the new space before you unpack. You’ll get all the dust bunnies and dirt you’ve tracked in out of the way before it comes into contact with your stuff.
21. Have an overnight bag handy. This way, you won’t be looking at a mountain.
22. Hire sitters for the little ones. (Kids and pets.)
23. Drain any dangerous and messy fluids, like motor oil or gasoline, before moving.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”