Americans generate an estimated 251 million tons of trash each year. While some of it gets recycled or composted, over 65 percent of it ends up in landfills. With many of the landfills across the nation starting to reach capacity, we are starting to run out of places to put our trash. One of the most efficient ways of cutting back on pollution and garbage is to reuse the items we already have in creative ways. Upcycling doesn’t have to be difficult if you have the right inspiration.
1. Reuse old hats as shades for light fixtures.
2. Old chairs can be used as a clever way to expand on your closet needs.
3. Use old brackets and books as decorative shelves.
4. Misfit wrenches can be made into hangers.
5. Use old bottles as chandeliers.
6. Bottle caps can be filled with wax to make candles.
7. Fill a broken lightbulb with oil to make an oil candle.
8. A busted drum set can make for a creative light fixture.
9. Have old skateboards around? Convert them into a child’s bench.
10. If you have a piano that has been severely damaged, consider reusing it like this.
11. An old bike can make for a creative addition to your bathroom.
12. A tub that has been transformed into a couch.
13. A great way to reuse a broken suitcase.